Monday, March 19, 2012

Using God's name in vain

This may get a little touchy, so I'll keep it short.  Well probably not.

I think I have a serious, seriously, food addiction.  Just like having the urges to smoke, I have urges to shove large amounts of food in my mouth.

I'm trying to figure out what triggers that.

So, I was sitting on the couch and started taking a mental inventory of what all I have in my kitchen that I could get up and eat right away (preferably sweet). Luckily, I cleaned out my cupboards recently so there's not much.  Strawberries, blueberries and certainly carrots won't do the trick.

(Do you hear that skinny people? Carrots don't do the trick.)

Then it hit me, like a slap in the face, I'm experiencing addictive behavior. So my next step was to pray.

"Lord, thank you for showing me.  Take those urges from me Jesus.  I give it to you."

Then, I asked him, "Is that in vain Lord? Is it using your name in vain if I don't actually give it to you?  If I never think about this again and keep eating the way I'm eating, not having faith that you will take it from me, is that using your name in vain?"

Leviticus 19:12 Do not swear falsely by my name and so profane the name of your God. I am the lord.


Jesus showed me a verse from Matthew
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Matthew 3:5

But, The Message says it better:
You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. 
With less of you there is more of God and his rule.

So, am I truly at the end of my rope?  

Am I truly ready to give these urges up to Him and let Him have His rule over that part of my life?  

Isn't that part of making nothing off limit?

The answer is yes.  Yes to all of it.  

Just like with smoking it will be hard but he will walk me through the urges to over eat. And he will walk me into something greater than eating a bunch of food that makes me tired and feel shameful when I'm done. 

I've said before that it's my job to build my body as an altar to my Father.  But, he says I can do nothing without Him.  

He says, "I am building the altar. Be calm and rest and let Me do all of the work." 


So ok. Using His name in vain is not having faith and not taking the name of the Lord seriously. 
"As God's co-workers we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain." (2Cor. 6:1)


But, if I have faith that He can change me (More of me) then I am saying,
"I must become less and He must become more" (John 3:30) and I am giving Him more rule over me. 

Thank you Jesus!



4 comments:

  1. You rock, sister! I completely identify with this - you're doing the right thing and He will work it out for you!!

    And, is this like the 140th blog background now? ;) Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! Yes it is. That's the most addicting part. But, I think I'm done for a while. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crissy, just by speaking this truth...just by putting yourself so out there and being vulnerable like this is...amazing. I love you for it. Love you, love you, love you. Jesus says, "Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other and you will be healed." I will pray for you. And since I have the same kind of trouble, will you pray for me? He also says, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Now isn't that a great promise? Keep confessing! Remember that He is also the God of process...(in case you happen to find yourself face down in the chocolate cake of all things.) He's so tender with our hearts, friend. Wants us to fill up on Him. I'll check in with you now and again, and I can't thank you enough just for being real. Thanks that I'm not alone.

    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Burnadette for encouraging me! I will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete