Saturday, July 14, 2012

Dear Wives,

Husbands,  if you could excuse us, all of us wives are going to step over here so we can powder our noses. 

{speak privately and high five each other because I really stuck it to those husbands yesterday didn't I?}

 



                     (whispering) 
Ok girls. While your husbands aren't listening....

Dear Wives,

When I was in school I was always in trouble for talking {every day from kindergarten to high school}. Even if I wasn't the one talking, somehow I still got in trouble for it. If the classroom was quiet and someone laughed, I was blamed for it. Most of the time I was the one to blame.

My teacher would say something like, "Crissy, if you disrupt the class again you'll have to sit in the hall."

My reply would be something like, "Uh Miss! So-and-so was talking too!" or "They were talking to me first!"

My teacher would usually say, "You worry about yourself and let me worry about so-and-so." I think that's what our Father says to us when we're pointing our fingers at our husbands or other people.

Did you know you have no control over your husband? Isn't that a relief? So now you're free to stop telling him what to do. You don't have to worry about it anymore. Don't you feel better?

Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words but by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. (1 Peter 3:1, 2 NIV)


{in other words, we have a huge responsibility}

I have stood in my living room screaming at my husband. I have talked for so long that the only thing left to do that made since was pull my hair.

We can spend hours and days talking. We can use really great "feeling words" and put them together in just a way that we're sure it will pierce through our husband's heart and make all of the love and secrets inside of him spill out. We find the perfect opportunity to say them (I usually call my husband when he's working) and we leave the conversation discouraged, disappointed, or enraged because our words did not get the response we were sure they would.

Our Father can do really cool things when he speaks. He creates universes, he creates people, he fulfills promises, and he changes minds and lives.

Jesus can walk beside your husband and whisper one word that speaks change over your husband's heart and at that point your husband doesn't have an option to do anything else... he will just be different.

After that comes the sound of his roar; he thunders with his majestic voice.  When his voice resounds, he holds nothing back. (Job 37:4 NIV)


How can our husbands hear God's voice if we're always screaming in his ears? Our words create things too but if they're filled with anger they only create resentment.  If we sow love we will reap love.
(Side Note: If we sow lust we will reap lust.)    

Do you believe the same God that creates universes and raises people from the dead is able to change your husband's mind? Read 1 Peter 3:1-2 with me again and ask God what that looks like for you. 


I pray he answers our prayer swiftly and with wisdom and revelation. I pray we have ears to hear and eyes to see and that His words fall softly and sweetly on our hearts.


CLICK HERE TO READ "Dear Husbands"

No comments:

Post a Comment