Saturday, February 18, 2012

Drop in the bucket...


I'm finally embracing simple and clean eating. I've been at it for 5 days and I've lost 8 pounds. I've always scoffed at you "nutty-crunchy" people but I finally see the light and I'm jumping on the band wagon. I'm mad right now. I decided to grab one of my son's favorite snacks and research the ingredients. Enriched Flour and High Fructose Corn Syrup were one of the first and I wasn't at all surprised by what I read. But then I came across Propylene Glycol.

"PROPYLENE GLYCOL: This is used as a humectant in cosmetics. It is also used as an industrial anti-freeze, and as the major ingredient in brake and hydraulic fluid. Laboratory tests show it to be a strong skin irritant."

Propylene Glycol is also commonly found in toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner and your deodarant.

How is this possible? I wouldn't pour Tucker a cup of brake fluid but I have always felt pretty ok about handing him a nutri grain bar. For a second I was concerned about him seeing me throw them away and getting upset but while I'm typing this he saw the one I have sitting on the desk in front of me and asked if he could have it. I said, "Sure but it's got shampoo in it." He looked at me with big eyes. I said, "Do you want it?" He said no. That was easy.

I won't judge you if I see your kid eating one of these but I will be the annoying person telling you about all of the ingredients in it hoping that you'll be as appaulled as I am.



http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/newsletter/2004/june/articles.php?id=1

1 comment:

  1. Bring it, girl! You're gettin' all crazy up in here! I like it! Once you start realizing all the junk in processed food, it makes it seem much less appealing.

    ReplyDelete