Sunday, March 25, 2012

Do you believe in love at first sight? Or should I walk by again?

Okay, I know I'm a couple days late and to be honest, I just forgot about this "segment".

When I was a girlfriend, Ryan and I would try really hard to impress each other.  At that time in our relationship it wasn't hard.  We really loved each other and loved to be around each other.  There wasn't much we could do to annoy each other.

I remember spending a long phone conversation, with one of my married friends, telling her how much I loved him and how much he loved me.  That I was certain there was no one else in the world as perfect for me as he was and no one in the world as perfect for him as I was.  He was so funny, and he said the sweetest things to me, I'm sure I went into detail about everything he'd said to me.  I said, "I just love having him around.  I even love picking up his dirty socks."  At that my married friend had had enough and said, "Uh, that won't last long."  I was sure she was wrong and sure she would never understand the kind of love my boyfriend and I shared.

We hadn't lived in the same house long before the cuteness of his dirty socks on the floor wore off.  I wasn't as helpful or as available to help him with his ironing or clean up behind him in the kitchen.

Since my hard working husband has been working in San Antonio, when he comes home I like seeing his dirty socks on the floor again.  His dirty clothes piled on the dining room table don't bother me as much and don't seem as worthy of a comment as they used to. I'm happier to help him with errands or clean up after him.

"Sow righteousness for yourselves, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the lord, until he comes and showers his righteousness on you." Hosea 10:12

So, this week's challenge is to love your husband (Titus 2:3-5) and do something nice for him everyday this week.

Pick something that you know would make his week, day, hour or moment a little easier.

Go an entire day without saying anything negative.

Pick up his dry cleaning.

Shave your legs...this one's for me.  Okay they're all for me.  This is actually my personal list.

Think of something (or things) that he does that really really really bother you. Don't dwell on it just bring it up in your mind.

Ryan, (I love you Ryan) blows his nose really loudly.  I mean startle you out of your skin, loudly.  It bothers me.  So much.  I mean why do you have to blow your nose so loudly?  But, he's not going to stop. So, I have to decide not to say anything and move on with my day.

So, did your husband's little thing bother you in the beginning?  If it didn't, then decide if it's really that bad and worth your agitation, negative comments or eye rolling now. If it did bother you in the beginning, well you married him, so I'd say it's about time you decided it's not worth your agitation, negative comments or eye rolling; None of which will achieve change in anyone but yourself and it will only grow bitterness in you.

Bonus round:  Do something nice even if he hasn't done anything nice in a long time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment