Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Living for God

1 Peter 4

Dear God,

Thank you for Your Son Jesus Christ who suffered in His body.  I pray that everyday that I wake up You remind me to arm myself with the same attitude, because who ever suffers in the body is done with sin and will not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.  I have spent enough time in the past doing what unbelievers choose to do- living an ignorant way of life; partying night after night, a drunken and wasteful life with detestable idolatry. They are surprised that I do not join them and make fun of me.  But they will have to give account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.  For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body.  But Lord, I want to live according to Your standard in regard to the spirit.

The end of all things is near.  I will stay alert and sober minded so that I can pray.  Above all, help me to love others deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.  When I offer hospitality, remind me to do so without grumbling.  Reveal my spiritual gifts and show me how to use them to serve others as a faithful steward of Your grace in it's various forms.  Give me an obsession for Your word and plant it so deeply in my heart so that when I speak I am speaking as one who speaks the very words of God.  When I serve, remind me that I can only do so by your strength, so that in all things You will be praised through Jesus Christ.  To Him be the Glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen

When I am tested I will not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come, as though something strange was happening to me.  But, I will rejoice in as much as I participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that I may be overjoyed when Your glory is revealed.  If I am insulted because of the name of Christ, I will be blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God will rest on me.  If I suffer as a Christian, I will not be ashamed, but praise God that I bear that name.  For it is time for judgement to begin with God's household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

So then, from today forward, I commit myself to You, my faithful Creator, and I will strive to do good even through suffering.

1 comment: