Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Texas Weather: March 4

I was sitting in my living room feeding my baby girl this morning. My husband was zipping past me, back and forth getting ready for work. I could hear my boys in the back of the house playing. They were beginning to argue which is what normally happens around the same time every morning. I was looking around the living room at the pile of laundry on the couch and toys all over the floor. Lists of tasks that are waiting to be tackled ran through my head. I have a 5 year old who has strep for the third time in two months and everyone is echoing the same word, tonsillectomy, which is not in the budget. To say the least, it was a little too much to think about before my first cup of coffee. 

I sat the baby up to burp her. I caught a glimpse of how beautiful her eyes look when they catch the sunshine. I looked outside and I couldn't help but notice how still it was. Not a branch or a leave or a blade of grass moved at all. They were all perfectly still while sun shined down on them. 

In that still, quiet moment The Lord reminded me, "Be still and know that I am God..." 

He fights for us. 

While I sat staring, my mind gripped by the power held in the stillness outside, more of God's word revealed itself from it's hiding place in my heart. 

When all the surrounding kingdoms heard that the Lord himself had fought against the enemies of Israel, the fear of God came over them. So Jehoshaphat’s kingdom was at peace, for his God had given him rest on every side. (2 Chronicles 20:29, 30 NLT)

I read this verse in Chronicles on Saturday. I laid in my bed trying to take a nap with my sick babies. I asked God, where in his word he wanted me to read. I heard 2 Chronicles and then my 5 year old, while he played with his toys, whispered to him self... "20, 30"... So I went with it. God's amazing timing was revealed. 

So this morning after that same verse jumped from my heart I decided to read the entire chapter. The Lord used that time and his word to give me encouragement, peace, and specific instructions for the day. 

Take a few moments today to recognize God's power and steadiness. He has the power to pull the trees in my yard from their roots and he has the power to hold them completely still at just the right moment. Look outside today and mimic the stillness of his creation.  

The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” (Exodus 14:14 NIV)







No comments:

Post a Comment